ADDRESS DELIVERED BY THE GOVERNOR OF OGUN STATE, HIS EXCELLENCY, SENATOR IBIKUNLE AMOSUN CON, FCA, AT THE GROUND BREAKING/FOUNDATION CEREMONY OF THE OGUN STATE POLYTECHNIC, IPOKIA, HELD ON FRIDAY, 15TH SEPTEMBER, 2017
As part of our Administrations commitment towards the provision of Affordable and Qualitative Education, we resolved that there is a need to establish another State institution of higher learning, especially in the area of science and technology which will help to accommodate the increasing number of our youth seeking tertiary education; and, promote our development of more scientists and technologists needed for our continued socio-economic development, in line with global developmental trends.
2. Through the sovereign and collective will of the good people of Ogun State and by an act of the Ogun State House of Assembly, we recently changed the status of our leading Polytechnic, the Moshood Abiola Polytechnic, Abeokuta, to a degree-awarding institution. The Institution, which will henceforth be known as the Moshood Abiola University of Science and Technology (MAUSTECH), will enlist in the comity of Universities in the nation as one of the foremost citadels of learning in Nigeria. And, in its stead, a new multi-campus Polytechnic to assume the original name of the Polytechnic, that is, the Ogun State Polytechnic, emerging in Ipokia, in the Ogun West Senatorial District.
3. The journey to establish this new Ogun State Polytechnic, Ipokia, began with the resolution of the 51st State Executive Council Meeting of 2016. This was later sent as a Bill to the State House of Assembly and passed into law on 13th March, 2017. The journey took a step further into reality when on Monday 3rd July, 2017, an official presentation of documents for the establishment of the Ogun State Polytechnic, Ipokia, was undertaken at the National Board for Technical Education, Abuja. We thank God Almighty that the dream for the establishment is finally becoming a reality.
4. This brings me to the primary purpose of our gathering here today. It is the demonstration of the commitment of our Administration to continue to ensure that the Yewa axis of our dear State is not lagging behind in the socio-economic indices. Just two days ago, we were here for the site inspection; and, today we are here for the ground-breaking/foundation-laying ceremony as a demonstration of the seriousness of our Administration for the Institution to take off in earnest.
5. Undoubtedly, it is pertinent to note that, the Ogun State Polytechnic, Abeokuta, remains one of the monumental legacies bequeathed to us by the late Chief Bisi Onabanjo administration. The polytechnic was later renamed the Moshood Abiola Polytechnic, Abeokuta, in memory of one of the illustrious sons of Ogun State, late Chief M.K.O. Abiola, during the Administration of Chief Olusegun Osoba. And, I am happy to say it loud that Ogun State Polytechnic, Ipokia is now here.
6. Todays event is a culmination of the desire of our Administration to continue to ensure the even spread and distribution of infrastructural facilities and other socio- economic development projects across the nooks and crannies of our dear State. It is also a fulfilment of one of the major planks of the socio- economic development blue prints our Administration crafted upon our assumption of office in May, 2011. You will all recall that, Affordable and Qualitative Education features most prominently on our 5-Cardinal Programme as encapsulated in our Mission to Rebuild Ogun State; and, this is what is being brought to the fore as a continued demonstration of the resolve of our Administration.
7. Let me assure you that, we will continue to push frontiers in all sectors of the economy of our State. For example, in education, we will continue to provide the ambience and space for our Educational Institutions to make decisions that shape the quality of learning through innovation and positive reinforcement. We believe that, in doing so, we will build upon the legacies of our founding fathers.
8. By these developments, our niche in technical education aimed at producing professionals with industry-relevant knowledge and skills for innovation and entrepreneurship will continue. Today, our dear State is the industrial capital of Nigeria. We also want to take advantage of our position as an educational hub to meet the personnel demands of the growing industrial economy especially as science and technology skills will continue to be in greater need across our dear State, and even, across Nigeria. Our commitment as an Administration is to leave no stone unturned in crossing the Rubicon of building our human capital and capacity through qualitative and affordable education. This is another effort at sustaining our legacy as the leading State in the area of education. As we say in our parlance in Ogun State, Ise Ya!
9. The emergence of this polytechnic will change the landscape of Ipokia, in particular, the length and breadth of Yewaland and the entire Ogun West Senatorial District. Let me therefore enjoin all our people in Yewaland to come and contribute your own quota to the development of this Institution. This Polytechnic should be seen as a collective heritage and all of us must do all within our powers to nurture it to maturity. Therefore, different groups, social and corporate organizations are enjoined to support and contribute to the development of this institution to make it the best in the comity of polytechnics in the entire country and make its graduates compete favourably with their counterparts from all over the world.
10. In the same vein, I charge all and sundry to inculcate the attitude of a good host community to the would-be students that will be coming from far and near to study here. We must all provide them a conducive environment and extend love to them, so that they, in turn, can also contribute to the socio-economic development of the people of Ipokia and Yewaland, in particular, and Ogun State, in general.
11. On this note, I congratulate all the traditional rulers; elders; leaders of thought; and, the entire Yewa People for their resilience and peaceful disposition towards protecting the Yewa interests in the last 40 years since our States creation.
12. Let me seize this opportunity to appreciate the Management of the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE) for the support and cooperation without which this dream could not have come true. We wish to assure NBTE that Ogun State Polytechnic, Ipokia, will not only sustain but surpass the standard of academic excellence that Moshood Abiola Polytechnic, Abeokuta, is renowned for. This Polytechnic will be another stamp of our Ogun Standard.
13. It is therefore with a sense of duty that we now proceed to lay the foundation of the Ogun State Polytechnic, Ipokia to the glory of God and the continued educational emancipation of our people.
14. I thank you all for listening and God bless.
Senator Ibukunle Amosun, CON, FCA
Governor of Ogun State
Friday, 15th September, 2017