Every facility providing maternity and child health services and care for infants should:
- Display the TEN STEPS to successful BREASTFEEDING at all services delivery contact points.
- Routinely communicate the STEPS to all health care staff and mentor staff on skills necessary to implement the ten steps.
- Inform all pregnant women about the BENEFITS and management of breastfeeding.
- Help mothers initiate breastfeeding within ONE HOUR of birth.
- Show mothers how to BREASTFEED, and how to maintain lactation even if they should be separated from their infants.
- Give newborn infants NO FOOD or DRINKS other than breast milk for the first six months, unless medically indicated.
- Practice ROOMING IN – allow mothers and infants to remain together – 24 hours a day.
- Encourage BREASTFEEDING on demand.
- Give no ARTIFICIAL TEATS or PACIFIERS (also called dummies or soothers) to breastfeeding infants
- Integrate BREASTFEEDING SUPPORT in all community outreach activities.
Follow Ideasgist Now on Facebook and Twitter. Also join in for Latest News, Tech News, School News and lot more.