This Proposed Ranking System was developed for the purpose of ranking all tertiary institutions in developing nation (A Case study of Nigeria Universities).
Nine existing ranking systems were considered in this study and aggregated to form a unified system. Twenty-two criteria were identified as a result of the aggregation but only seventeen criteria are used and percentage weights were also assigned objectively to each.
Web crawling algorithm was employed to extract the value of each criteria that are available on the university website while other criteria that are not available are sourced from the National Universities Commission official website http://www.nuc.edu.ng (Nigeria Statistical Digest Report, 2018) are manually input into the proposed ranking systems. System implementation was carried out in PHP and Python.
The proposed ranking system will give a better and reliable ranking result for universities in developing nations than other existing ranking systems because it contained more robust parameters.
Hence, it is recommended as a tool for ranking of tertiary institutions in developing nations.
Criteria Criteria Description Weight (%)
(1) Number of Publications The total number of research publication by staff of the university 10% over a certain period of years.
(2) Number of times faculty No of times a university staff research output were cited (citation). 10% were cited
(3)International FacultyNo of foreign members of the university3%
(4)International StudentsNo of Foreign students in the university3%
(5)Noble prize by facultyNo of Staff of the university that has won a Nobel Prize Medals.10%
(6)Size of the university websiteThe number of university web pages that is recovered from Google.5%
(7)University Popularity The total number of students in the university3%
(8) Visibility of the University The number of unique external links received by the university website 5% on the Web which can be obtained from Google.
(9) Number of Multi-Dimensional Files The number of different files type documents such as Adobe (.pdf), 5% Adobe PostScript (.ps), Microsoft Word (.doc) and Microsoft PowerPoint (.ppt) that are associated with each university. The results for each file types will be extracted from Google, log-normalized and merge together in order to generate the rank.
(10) Faculty/Student ratio Its measure the ratio of the number of lecturers divided by the number of 10% students in the university.
(11) H-Index of the University It is calculated by counting the largest numbers (h) of publications by staff of the 10 university for articles that had been cited at least many times each over a certain (n) period of years.
(12)PhDs AwardedThe total number of PhDs that is awarded by the university per academic year.3%
(13)Noble prize by Alumni The number of Alumni of the university that have won a Nobel Prize Medals.5%
(14) Patents No of patent applications by the university that is indexed in Google Scholar and its 10% obtained from www.patents.google.com or from https://patentscope.wipo.int
(15) Academic programmes of the university No of academic programmes of the university with full accreditation 2% with full accreditation status.
(16) Student completion rate The total number of students in the graduating class in a year minus the number 2% of students who have completed their record on time. 2%
(17) Proportion of the academic staff of the university at professorial level No of full professors in the university 4%
Follow Ideasgist Now on Facebook and Twitter. Also join in for Latest News, Tech News, School News and lot more.