Manchester City have had a £41m offer for defender Nathan Ake accepted by Bournemouth.
Talks between the clubs over the Netherlands centre-back had begun before the end of the Premier League season, but confirmation of Bournemouth’s relegation to the Championship on Sunday all but confirmed the 25-year-old would depart this summer.
Personal terms and the length of Ake’s contract are yet to have been finalised, but are not expected to hinder the completion of the deal, which could be concluded before the end of the weekend.
Ake joined Bournemouth from Chelsea for a club-record fee of £20m in 2017 and had been linked with a return to Stamford Bridge.
Chelsea’s buy-buck clause on Ake means they still have 72 hours to match of improve on Manchester City’s offer, but it is understood Frank Lampard is not interested in re-signing him.
Despite Chelsea’s lack of interest, Ake does have other options away from the Etihad, but is said to be keen to work with City boss Pep Guardiola.
City have been linked with several centre-backs since the departure of Vincent Kompany at the end of the 2018-19 season. They missed out to rivals United on Harry Maguire last summer and have consistently been linked with Napoli’s Kalidou Koulibaly.
Ake played 29 times in the Premier League this season for Bournemouth as Eddie Howe’s side were relegated, finishing a point from safety in 18th place.
The fee, which would be a club-record sale for Bournemouth, would see them receive £40m up front, with a further £1m to come in add-ons.
Guardiola was asked about the potential signing of Ake in the January transfer window, at which point he ruled out a move but hinted he would revisit the situation this summer.
“We don’t speak about that,” he said in answer to a question on Ake. “We’re going to finish this season with the players that we started with. If something’s going to happen, it will be in the summer time.”
Sky Sports’ Jamie Carragher has questioned the logic behind City targeting another left-sided centre-back with Aymeric Laporte already at the club. He tweeted:
City appear to be attempting to get their business done early in a transfer window that was delayed because of the coronavirus pandemic, with the club close to agreeing a deal for Valencia winger Ferran Torres.